Wednesday, March 17, 2010

~What's Cooking Wednesdays~ Pita, Breads, Etc!

I am very happy to share several recipes here today! If you want to join the fun and find more great recipes, visit Jess's blog, "It's All About the Savings", for "What's Cooking Wednesdays"!!

The recipe I am most excited about today is my pita bread! I had not made it before and was worried it would not riase very, but it did Great and it taste SOO Good! I think I will start making big batches of them and freezing them, so we do not have to buy sandwich bread anymore!! Yippee!

From the reviews I read on this recipe, I knew I could make it with wheat flour and to knead it the full 8 minutes to get it to raise better. I used half wheat, half white, but now that I know how well it does, I think I will try all wheat next time!
Traditional Pita Bread
(From All Recipes.com)

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Ready In: 25 Minutes
Servings: 12

Ingredients:
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees to
115 degrees F) 2 teaspoons salt
3 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
1. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in salt and enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Do not let rise. Divide dough into six pieces; knead each for 1 minute. Roll each into a 5-in. circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Place upside down on greased baking sheets. Bake at 500 degrees F for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

I also made some French bread, from my Betty Crocker cookbook ("Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today"), but could not find it online! Did find this one that is a lot like it though (from Betty Crocker),
French Bread recipe.

And I made one big loaf of our family favorite Banana bread! The recipe is from my mom's "Whole Foods For the Whole Family Cookbook"! I would love to have one! They are the best cookbooks! =) I will try to share this recipe sometime too!


I hope to make some brunch eggs this week too! But I think I will try them on my french bread!

Brunch Eggs on English Muffins
(from Betty Crocker)
Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 25 min
Makes: 4 servings

1 teaspoon butter or margarine
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (1 oz)
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
Dash of ground red pepper (cayenne)
2 English muffins, split
4 thin slices fully cooked Canadian-style bacon (2 oz)
8 eggs, beaten
Freshly ground pepper
1. In 1-quart nonstick saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour; remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in cheeses, basil and red pepper; keep warm.
2. Toast English muffins. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until brown on both sides. Remove from skillet; keep warm. 3. Heat same skillet over medium heat. Pour eggs into skillet. As mixture begins to set at bottom and side, gently lift cooked portions with spatula so that thin, uncooked portion can flow to bottom. Avoid constant stirring. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until eggs are thickened throughout but still moist.
4. Place 1 slice bacon on each muffin half. Top with eggs. Spoon about 2 tablespoons sauce over eggs. Sprinkle with pepper.

As soon as I have some tuna cans (you use them to form the muffins) I hope to make English muffins!
This recipe looks good!

Whole Wheat English Muffins
(from allrecipes.com)

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 40 Minutes
Servings: 10

Ingredients:
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115
degrees)
1 cup milk, scalded
3 tablespoons butter or margarine 3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 egg, beaten
Cornmeal

Directions:
1. Dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in water. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine milk, butter, salt, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat well with an electric mixer. Add egg and yeast mixture; beat until smooth. By hand, stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Place on floured surface. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut into 4-in. circles. Allow to rise until doubled. Lightly sprinkle an electric fry pan or griddle with cornmeal. Bake over low heat for 10 minutes until nicely browned. Turn and bake 10 minutes longer. Cool. Store in the refrigerator. To serve, split with a fork and toast.
God bless your cooking!
~Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment