Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Canning Pear Butter Autumn 2010

Back in Sep. (2010), some friends brought us two five gallon buckets of pears from their trees!! Yay!
I decided to try making pear butter to can, instead of canning sliced pears!

Here are my notes on how I made the pear butter and some pictures for you!

After peeling and slicing the pears, I put them in my Ninja food processor (pictured above) and pureed them.
From the two five gallon buckets of pears, I pureed and measured up 14 qts. of pears into my large pot (pictured above).
I added 14 cups of brown sugar and about 3/4 cup of lemon juice, 2 TBSP. of nutmeg and 2 TBSP. of cinnamon. I cooked and stirred this for about an hour and a half (until it was heated all the way thru and bubbling!). Then I measured into jars and processed about 20 minutes for quart jars and 10 minutes for pints, in boiling water canner.

The pear butter taste SOOO yummy! I am a Huge fan of apple butter so I was delighted to make a bunch of pear butter!

The only thing I would do different is put less nutmeg and more cinnamon! Maybe 1 tablespoon of nutmeg and 3 tablespoons of cinnamon! =)

I hope I am able to can more apples and pears or apple & pear butter this year!
~Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment