Thursday, January 29, 2009

Snow day and doughnuts!

Growing up, we had a tradition that when it snowed, we would make doughnuts (or sometimes cinnamon rolls)!! Yeah! Living in the south, it was rare treat!
Yesterday, we got some snow, so Princess S. helped me make some doughnuts! I wanted to do some that would not take to long so I found this recipe (Below) and they are sooo yummy! You can save the batter if you do not want to fry it all, it says, but I went ahead and fried it all. It did around 4 dozen I guess. And they are perfect size for children (like a little bigger than a doughnut hole).
Hope you enjoy!


Popover Donuts

2 eggs, beaten
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. sweet milk (I used powdered milk)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1tsp. Vanilla
3 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Combine ingredients in order given. Drop batter by teaspoonful (I did tablespoonful) in hot fat. These donuts turn themsleves! When browned, remove from fat and roll in sugar, or place donuts in a plastic bag (or container) and shake. Add powdered sugar to granulated sugar to make them "sugar" better. You can mix the dough andfry part, then fry the rest later and have them fresh. Dropping batter into hot fat eliminates rolling and cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment