Saturday, May 30, 2009

Samuel Adams Speech (part 7) Saturday


" 'Tis a strange species of generosity which requires a return infinitely more valuable than anything it could have bestowed; that demands as a reward for a defense of our property a surrender of those inestimable privileges to the arbitrary will of vindictive tyrants, which alone give value to that very property.
Courage, then, my countrymen; our contest is not only whether we ourselves shall be free, but whether there shall be left to mankind an asylum on earth for civil and religious liberty. Dismissing, therefore, the justice of our cause as incontestable, the only question is, What is best for us to pursue in our present circumstances?
The doctrine of dependence on Great Britain is, I believe, generally exploded; but as I would attend to the honest weakness of the simplest of men, you will pardon me if I offer a few words on that subject."
-Samuel Adams

To be continued.......Or read the whole speech here.

1 comment:

  1. I recieved the a award Honest things. I choose you to share it with. I like the info you post.
    If you would lioke to take part. YOu can go to my page and grab the picture and the rules.
    Blessing Tara

    ReplyDelete